Friday, May 4, 2007

A Bit of Humor

Ok, no, not trying to torture the blogging world with a zillion posts in a day just to avoid working. But I have to share this... I have a few Grammar-related pet peeves that I have dealt with for years. I used to work in marketing and did a lot of proof-reading and related writing, so perhaps that is where this developed. Being a Grammar Snob can make it tough when reading yahoo groups and blogs. Years ago I had a friend out of town who I'd visit every few weeks and I had to restrain myself each time I drove into town so as not to find the manager at the Pizza Hut and beg them to change their marquee to not say that they were "highering" employees. It stayed like that for months, honest-to-goodness months.

I am sure I have a slew of errors I make as well - I have no doubt. If nothing else, I ramble on way too long not to be doing something wrong. But if you are like me, and have your handful of words or phrases you see that give you that nails down a chalkboard feel, you hae to read this post (be sure to read the comments too). Maybe in my weakened mental state I am too easily amused, but I now have a new favorite post.

And though I can't imagine anybody is not reading this blog, but just in case... If the name "Blue Barb" means nothing to you, please check out my other favorite post for a good giggle...

Ok, that's it out of me for the day, I swear. I might just go actually do some work for a bit. Exciting life - heading into Friday night and finally getting motivated to get to work. Well, it probably won't last long... Thanks all for humoring me today!

4 comments:

mam said...

I'm with you! Have you seen the relatively new illustrated version of Strunk & White? Beautiful book...the artist illustrates with watercolor pictures several of the examples used to illustrate the grammar points. I heard a story about it on NPR (jeez... listening to a story about illustrations in a book...guess my imagination is better than I thought it was) and had to swerve the car over and get off the road, so that I could get to a bookstore to buy many copies, immediately. It's wonderful.

They're & there & their...I see those ALL OVER the yahoo boards. Also "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less." It means the opposite of what the speaker is trying to convey! Drives me nuts.

I'm SUCH a huge geek.

Anonymous said...

O.K., what really gets me the most right now is the whole "less" instead of "fewer" thing. I hear it and read it EVERYWHERE and I just want to scream! It's on the local radio, it's in print ads, GAH! Where are the copy editors!!! Of course, my brother emailed me the other day to point out that I typed "there" on my blog when I actually meant "their." It was in a post where I was complaining about the teacher who doesn't know the difference between "then" and "than." Completely humiliating, especially since I really do know the difference. Thanks for alerting everyone about Blue Barb. We must protect each other from the evil that is out there! LOL!

Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

Preach it, sister! I read a blog where someone recently typed 'arrant' instead of 'errand'! As in, "I had to run an arrant for my wife". The same blogger did it more than once, so clearly it wasn't a bizarre typo.I wish people would stop spitting directly into the face of the English language.

S. said...

"behind the ape ball"
"dayja vue"
hmmm...I know there was just another one I saw somewhere. Yes, it is enough to drive a person crazy! Probably just as crazy as my run-on sentences and over use of ... and !
oh yeah, just saw this today... "torenchal downpour"