Monday, January 21, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Hi everyone - Delaney and I are home and all is well.  She was an angel through all the traveling on Sunday, and she charms the socks off everyone she encounters - we realized it was a good thing we left ourselves plenty of time to get checked in and such since we hadn't realized the additional DD factor (Delaney Doll) where everyone has to peek and comment on what a doll she is.  Of course many also felt the need to comment on the fact I was taking her out in the cold and/or on a plane when she was so young/little - Shawna, I figure you'll get a hoot out of that!  I was of course pleasant in my responses, but you wouldn't believe how much I heard it!  Yes, she's little, but she's going to be a Minnesota gal and being out in the cold is a fact of life!  Of course this was not during the -15 days of Minneapolis this past weekend - that was always my comeback, that we were headed back to where it was much colder so I was easing her into it.

At the airport in Minneapolis I had some fabulous family meeting us and it was very touching, along with a small welcome home party by two of my closest aunts and two cousins who were very excited to meet the new addition.  This coming weekend (and weeks ahead) we will try to catch up with many other family and friends so Delaney can charm their socks off too.

She's doing very well and we have our first doctor appointment on Tuesday just to get the ball rolling here at home and ensure she is indeed perfect even if she's in a small package.  The biggest challenge here at home for her so far (and this was the case in the hotel as well) is that she really isn't crazy about the crib - I think it's just too big, dark and lonely for her.  So despite my mother's disapproval, she tends to spend about as much time snuggling with me in bed as she does in the crib.  I'm going to do some more research and play this one by ear a bit - even though she's only 10 days old, she's gone through many changes already (including her first night of life without anyone but staff watching over her as I wasn't able to see her that night) and I think the important thing for her right now is to feel secure as she sleeps, right?

I knew the cats would be a challenge, though for the most part this adjustment is going better than I expected.  Both cats really gave my aunt a challenge while I was gone, bless her heart.  With the way I had to rush out of town, they were very frazzled and on edge before I even walked out the door, which certainly didn't help.  And Abbie has been struggling since I was gone for Christmas anyway - she's very high maintenance emotionally, and if you've been reading for a while you may remember she's actually on anti-depressants.  Let's just say the behavior that necessitates the medication, which most people wouldn't put up with, has returned for the moment and I know it's frequency will get worse before it gets better.  I'll spare you further details, trust me.  Both cats are not sure what to make of this little noise machine that seems to be commandeering all of my attention now.  Maddie stays fairly close to me, but at a safe distance.  Whenever Delaney cries Maddie cries at me too, I can't quite tell what she's thinking but it sounds more like a cry of her being worried about the baby rather than hollering at me to make it stop.  Abbie is intrigued by the baby, but I know she is jealous.  She will make a move as if to try to figure out how to take over my lap but she has figured out it's not as easy as getting me to set aside my laptop.  So she just stays fairly close by.  We are one tight-knit family at the moment, wherever Delaney and I are, the two cats are usually not far behind.  But I'm pleased so far with how they are transitioning - I expected it to be very rough, so thus far I'm pleased.

Just a few pictures - i know the one is mean of me to include cause she looks goofy, but I couldn't resist.  At least it's a change from the usual sleeping newborn, right?  And I loved watching Jenn and BJ take pictures of Amos next to a teddy bear each month to show how much he's growing, so I have to start the same thing.  For this first try (which was at the hotel, I may take some different ones here at home and we'll see if I remember to keep doing this!) I'm using the gift that Elaine's mom was nice enough to make for Delaney - I can't wait until she's big enough to snuggle it!  I had the fantastic opportunity to meet Elaine and her mom (of Looking for George) while I was in Ohio - she's one of my very favorite bloggers and I was so excited to have the chance to meet her (and of course shop one of the wackiest grocery stores I've ever seen!).  Elaine, you'll laugh, Delaney must have been listening while we thought she was sleeping because she did a great half-imitation of Touchdown Jesus last night when we were just cuddling - I sure wish my camera had been within arm's reach!  My describing it wouldn't do it justice, but suffice it to say I thought of you and the, what, exhibit?  monument?  immediately.

012 004003

I've still got lots of catching up to do with blogs and emails, I'm making a tiny bit of progress each day but with a cat on one side and a baby on the other, you know, it might take me a bit.  But I'm working on it!  Still keeping my fingers crossed for those of you who have been waiting so much longer than you expected to get those I600 approvals.  I'm hoping this will be a big week of progress, and I'm thinking of all of you.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it home safe and sound! I look forward to watching her grow next to her blankie buddy. I can't believe how big it looks next to her! She is such a doll.

mam said...

The goofy pictures are the BEST ones! Don't stop including them...at least till she's old enough to tell you to stop!

Karen said...

Welcome home. My—she is so tiny. Glad to hear everyone is settling in nicely. Please keep posting photos of her—funny ones and all. Enjoy your time with her.

Paula said...

Our daughter is 6 months old and she just started sleeping in her crib this past week. I agree, I think it was just too big and lonely. I had her in a bassinet next to my bed, we did bring her in the bed a lot to snuggle, but for sleeping I would put her in the bassinet because I was afraid she wouild smother amongst the comforter and pillows. Every parent knows instinctively what is best for their own child, that is the most important thing. She is adorable. You have been blessed beyond measure!

LaLa said...

First of all...what a cutie pie and the first pic is too funny : )

Secondly, they co sleep in almost every country in the world but here so I am all for it if it works. Annslee slept in a crib by our bed when we first got home (she was 13 months old and used to sleeping with her foster family) and we moved her to her crib a couple of months later. Heck, she still sleeps with us sometimes and she is fine : )

Carissa said...

Wow she looks so small in the picture next to her bear/blankie! She is still so cute! I am so happy to hear you are home and slowly adjusting!

Story of our Life said...

Honey...I'm addicted to your blog. I think your newest blog fan!! (I just found you last week. My sweet blooger). hehehe

Anyway...few thoughts from this mommy.

I have 2 bio children. I had no cats when they were born. However, what I've learned from my cats that we have now (2 very spoiled) and also from fellow friends/family members who had babies and pets (dogs and cats) is this...

The cats are going to become VERY protective of your baby. I'm sure that instinct has already started with them.

Having left my cats for long period of time - I can attest that they will "pay you back" for being gone. They'll get over it and it is hard to deal with I know. (I've not read back far enough in your blog to know what is going on w/them...but have a general idea).

Congrats Mommy and Delaney!! You are both soooo very lucky.

OOOHHHH...let her sleep w/you!! Both my bio children who suffered NO trauma (other than my daughhters traumatic birth) when they were born...slept w/us. We were very very careful to put them iin our bed where we wouldn't roll over on them. Keep her close to you!! I'm a FIRM believer in "co-sleeping". Just ask my 8 yr old...she was w/mommy and daddy until her brother kicked her out 3 yrs later. And it still took nearly a year to get her out of my bed. Just ask my 5 yr old...he STILL finds his way to mommy and daddy's bed each week at least 1-2 nights.

CONGRATS again!!!

Deanna said...

She is such a little peanut! :)

I have seen that touchdown Jesus and agree with most of what your friend had to say about it in her blog! LOL Glad I am not the only one...